Though the township may be a late creation, settlement was already present in the early Anglo-Saxon period, east of the medieval village on Northampton Sand adjacent the southern stream.
The medieval village straddles the northern stream. North of the stream and partly on ironstone is a single row of tenements north of the road, possibly laid out over the narrow furlong extending to the east, and with the tenements on the south of the road probably representing encroachment on the meadow. South of the stream on limestone is a double row along a valley road parallel to the stream, the western part probably representing addition of tenements over furlongs. A third element lies along the road running south to the main road to Kettering. The presence of church and rectory suggests this is not late expansion over the adjacent furlong because the church probably already existed in 1086, when a priest is recorded in the manor. The rectilinear plan form of most of the settlement, with tenement rows lying conformably with the highly rectilinear adjacent furlongs, suggests a late Anglo-Saxon origin for the village similar to that proposed for Little Weldon. However the analysis of the plan form may have been confused by the creation of new tenements for, perhaps under the influence of the cloth industry, Corby saw a degree of population increase that is unusual for a Northamptonshire village in the early modern period.